Monday, April 20, 2009

Ban on Trans Fats

While I agree with the Tex Report that Texas and for that matter the whole U.S. has a huge obesity problem, I do not believe that this bill, if passed, is the answer to that problem. I too am conscientious of my health and of the types of foods that I consume. I believe that being educated on nutrition is the first step to fighting diet related illness. Restaurants should be transparent about nutritional information and of the ingredients in their foods. A Dunkin' Donut without trans fats has just the same amount of sugar and fat, and with or without the trans fats is not exactly considered a health food. Adults have to make their own health related decisions, and as long as nutrition information is made mandatory they can make those decisions in an educated manner. If consumers push for healthier choices, restaurants will provide for them or risk losing business to another restaurant who does provide a healthier choice. Dunkin' Donuts didn't need a government regulation to decide that banning trans fats was a good choice for them, and I imagine if it brings business and good publicity to them, other restaurants will follow suit. I feel a little differently in the case of childhood obesity, in my opinion it is a parent's responsibility to instill good eating habits at home, and a school's responsibility at school. So a ban on trans fats in school cafeterias is a bill I would like to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment